We talk to Quentin Harley, the "crazy inventor" behind the locally built Morgan 3D Printers
Kenneth & Len chat to Quentin about the how the Morgan 3D printers came to be, building the impossible in 2 weeks, and how to the unique form factor of the Morgan came about in a dream!
Quentin shares a lot of fascinating insights into the history of the printer and demystifies a lot of terms for us, including how you measure print quality & resolution, different types of filaments, the technology behind these printers, open sourcing the hardware and how 3D printing as a whole can be scaled up to the point of printing buildings. We also learned that the popular PLA filament is organic and a fully renewable material!
Find and follow Quentin & the Morgan 3D printers online:
Here are some resources mentioned in the show:
- House4Hack - http://www.house4hack.co.za/
- E3D-v6 Hotend - http://e3d-online.com/E3D-v6
- XTC-3D - https://www.smooth-on.com/product-line/xtc-3d/
- RAPDASA - http://www.rapdasa.org/
- GAP (Gauteng Accelerator Program) - http://www.theinnovationhub.com/opportunities/gap-innovation-3
- Thingiverse - https://www.thingiverse.com/
- OpenSCAD - http://www.openscad.org/
- RapCAD - https://github.com/GilesBathgate/RapCAD
- SketchUp - http://www.sketchup.com/
- Inventor - https://www.autodesk.co.za/products/inventor/overview
- Simplify3D - https://www.simplify3d.com/
- MakerCon - http://themakerspace.co.za/makercon/
Thanks for listening!
See all past picks on our picks page.