In this age of containers and virtualization, are we losing touch with hardware and the raw performance available to us?
Kenneth chats to Kevin & Len about our current understanding of hardware performance and if it matters in this age of containers and virtualization.
Spawned by an article on Non-uniform Memory Access in modern multi-CPU architectures, Kenneth realizes that it has been years since he racked up a server or cared about the bare metal at all. How disconnected has he become in the quest for only dealing with servers through API's?
Some resources mentioned during the show:
- NUMA Deep Dive Part 1: From UMA to NUMA - http://frankdenneman.nl/2016/07/07/numa-deep-dive-part-1-uma-numa/
- Approximate cost to access various caches and main memory - http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4087280/approximate-cost-to-access-various-caches-and-main-memory
- Why is it faster to process a sorted array than an unsorted array? - http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11227809/why-is-it-faster-to-process-a-sorted-array-than-an-unsorted-array
- The Making of: ROM City Rampage (Retro City Rampage 8bit) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hvx4xXhZMrU
- Scene.org Awards - http://awards.scene.org/
- How PayPal Scaled to Billions of Transactions Daily Using Just 8 VMs - http://highscalability.com/blog/2016/8/15/how-paypal-scaled-to-billions-of-transactions-daily-using-ju.html
- The WhatsApp Architecture Facebook Bought for $19 Billion - http://highscalability.com/blog/2014/2/26/the-whatsapp-architecture-facebook-bought-for-19-billion.html
- Reactions to the beer cache hierachy - http://blog.netopyr.com/2014/11/28/reactions-to-the-beer-cache-hierarchy/
- Transatlantic ping faster than sending a pixel to the screen? - http://superuser.com/questions/419070/transatlantic-ping-faster-than-sending-a-pixel-to-the-screen
- AMD unveils Radeon Pro SSG graphics card with up to 1TB of flash memory - http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/07/amd-radeon-pro-ssg-graphics-card-specs-price-release-date/
Thanks for listening!
See all past picks on our picks page.