Join us for a walk down memory lane as we retrace the start of the Ruby community in Johannesburg and end up on the trails of the Aosta Valley.
Kenneth & Kevin chat with Armand du Plessis, a long-time Rubyist about his journey from classic ASP to being the CTO of Hornet. We get a small glimpse into life before .net and building applications for Symbian, and a whirlwind tour of building various systems in the mobile money space.
The last five years Armand has been involved with Hornet, a gay social network and dating app. Armand was part of the team that helped launch the service after just 2 months of build, and made it in time for various launch parties they had all over the world. Admittedly they still have some technical debt today for some of the shortcuts taken back then. Kenneth was very grateful to hear someone admit this openly and honestly. We also lean a few interesting things about their stack and the huge amounts of traffic they do (their CDN serves more traffic than the Cape Town Internet Exchange!).
Finally we lace up as Armand shares with us his trail running adventures from the last few years. Armand has embarked on some truly epic runs all over the world, including Mont Blanc, Patagonia, Andora and many more. As we recorded he was getting ready to participate in the 2016 Tor Des Giants. Armand shares some tips and motivation and technology that can help kickstart a healthy trail running addiction.
Follow Armand online:
Hornet can be found at https://hornetapp.com
Some resources mentioned during the show:
- Nokia Web Browser for S60 - http://company.nokia.com/en/news/press-releases/2006/05/24/nokia-releases-web-browser-for-s60-engine-code-to-open-source-community
- WURLF - http://wurfl.sourceforge.net/
- BERT - http://bert-rpc.org/
- Tokyo Cabinet - http://fallabs.com/tokyocabinet/
- BarCampJozi - http://barcamp.org/w/page/400891/BarCampJohannesburg
- Oldest known invite to Ruby on Beer 2009/01/27 - https://groups.google.com/d/msg/rubyorgza/rzUCs5TAQJA/A3AG863uyqIJ
- Blaine Cook - https://twitter.com/blaine
- Evan "Rabble" - https://twitter.com/rabble
- Sidekiq - http://sidekiq.org
- Tor Des Giants - http://www.tordesgeants.it/en
Thanks for listening!
See all past picks on our picks page.